Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Lois Evelyn Johannes November 25, 1915-October 31, 2006

Taken in 1990. John might have been a year old, maybe.

Several years ago, with my baby girl.

Thanksgiving at our house when she could still get into our house, probably 3 years ago.

Last years 90th birthday.

I know some of you know already, grandma passed away yesterday morning around 11:00 AM. If you don't want to read about it, please stop now.

Thank you all so much for the prayers. They have meant a lot to me. My grandma has been in the Portland area for just 8 years. When I was a child, she was in the mission field in Asia, so I didn't get to see her too often. When she came home on leave, she'd spend several weeks at a time with us. It was during those times that she taught me to knit. So, when she moved to Portland, we were able to become closer and she was able to get to know my children and husband.

I was there at 9:00 AM because I took my mil to the airport early. My aunt took the opportunity to go work downstairs while I was there. (She's an RN in the social services department) The nurses let me stay in the room while they bathed her and let me apply lotion to her back. I think Marie, the head nurse knew what was happening and it would be soon. My aunt came up when the doctor made his rounds, and the decision was made to cut the oxygen completely off. She only had a little bit anyways. My aunt took the oxygen prongs off, and went back downstairs. It was a matter of 45 minutes. I had been watching her breathe, noticing it was different than yesterday, Marie came in to check on us, went to get another drug to administer, and while she was gone, the breathing changed again. Just as she came in, grandma was taking her last breath. I had spent time reading the Psalms to her and telling her about our latest knitting projects, John's class and Robert's work. I don't know if she heard me or not, but I like to think it made her rest easier. She was very peaceful about it. I went home and got Kim, knowing she wanted to be there. When we got back, my brother was there, though not in the room yet. I think he would have really broke down if he was by himself. He is upset he didn't know sooner, but he isn't mad at me. We went to lunch afterwards, it was awkward, but I'm glad he's around right now. I really hope this doesn't make him go further from the family. I think without grandma here, he won’t want to come to anything family related. Anyways, I think everything is taken care of for now, there's nothing else I need to do this week. Next Wednesday we will have a small family memorial service. My mom, aunt, Kim and I will go through grandma's room at the assisted living home and clean it out on Monday. I am exhausted and my face feels like it needs a face-lift. I feel like I have lived through a weeks worth of stuff in two days.

Update since I wrote this out yesterday. I am having a harder time of this than I thought I would. It's almost like what I think I would feel like if it was my parents. Today I kept myself busy by taking my son to his class at the college, sitting in the knitting shop waiting for him, taking him clothes shopping, to lunch and shopping for his late birthday present at the big mall. I had fun. My son has other interests so it's not very often that it's a mom and son day out. Tomorrow, I will fill my day with housecleaning, laundry, cooking, and quilting. I have to get ready for my parents staying with us next week.


Donna said...

I'm so sorry to hear such sad news. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Kate said...

I'm so sorry for the loss.Take care of yourself these days, and a great hug.

Brandie said...

Oh Tammy ... I am so sorry for your loss. Take some time to be with your family now and time to grieve.
I will be praying for you and your family during this time. ((((((hugs)))))